Monday, May 10, 2010

Cool Girl T-shirt, first attempt

There are no photos for this post, because my first attempt at a T-shirt muslin was so pathetic that I didn't even bother to sew it together. A pinned together version told the sad, sorry tale. And that tale goes a little something like this.

1. I forgot to add ease. I forgot for my skirt, too, but I took my measurements generously enough that it didn't matter.
2. I made the armhole too small. I measured my t-shirts like she said and when I drafted that size it just looked so weird. So I made it smaller. Turns out weird would at least fit!
3. It was too short. The length I measured failed to take into account the lumps and bumps that would pull the shirt up.
4. I need to quit pretending I'm not as fat as I am and just use the measurements I come up with, no matter how sad I am looking at the pattern pieces.

I should be able to try again this week. I don't know if I'll make the deadline for my final shirt, but I should for my muslin at least!

4 comments:

Kitschy Coo said...

Demoralising, huh? Hope you weren't using a fabric you liked.

I didn't think it was clear how long it should be so mine would have ended up five inches short if I hadn't checked it first! And as you know the bust measurement at the armpit rotated my armhole three inches onto my actual arm... I'm not sure this one will work out for me :(

auntninn said...

Amanda, thankfully it was a super cheap-o fabric I got just for doing a muslin.

I saw your muslin and I think the one you did from your tunic pattern (the pink with blue) was much more flattering.

I'm afraid the woven blouse will be even worse. :(

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Awww, a picture of the muslin would've at least provided some comic relief, don'cha think? Sorry it didn't work out though.

auntninn said...

Sister, it might have been indecent. Being just pinned and skin tight - not something I need on the web. :)