Monday, December 20, 2010

Covered in glitter and recriminations

In spite of my Big Plans to make more felt toys and other handmade goodies for Christmas my two-year old niece Ella is the only one getting a handmade gift this year. Armed with my lessons learned from my first attempt at Kitschy Coo Pettiskirt tutorial I got to work.

The first time around I messed up my seam allowances and ended up with something very poofy due to short layers. My tulle was also too lightweight and wispy (read that: cheap). This time I got stiffer, sparkle tulle. So stiff in fact that I still ended up with something way poofier than I was aiming for.


I've had the sweater for months and wanted to make a pettiskirt to match. Due to the weird effect of a flash on the sparkle tulle and the seafoam underskirt you'll have to take my word that it *does* match.

The satin underskirt matches the tutu of the ballerina on the sweater. Which also matches the top cuffs of the baby legs I made.


As I was pulling the elastic Rylee walked by and saw the pile of princess craziness on my lap and proclaimed "That's mine's."

When I tried it on her to check the waist fit she immediately began to switch her hips and declare "I'm the true princess!" She was also willing to model the underskirt, if not change out of her favorite monkey pants.


She was finally willing to grudgingly concede that it was "Lella's" and mommy would make her one soon. So I'll be blogging a third attempt at some point in the near future.

And lest you think I'm the worst mother in the world for letting her be barefoot outside in the winter I'll just add that it was almost 60 degrees. So I'm only a moderately bad mother. For that reason at least.

5 comments:

KID, MD said...

Aaah! Myra must not see this post! Sparkly princess overload!!

It's adorable. She's going to love it!

Kitschy Coo said...

Great job! I'm not showing that to Maia either, lest she refuse the red one I've made her :)

For swishiness instead of poofiness, I go with stretch mesh. It doesn't unravel, it's soft and the smaller holes means less layers.

auntninn said...

Thanks for the tip, Amanda. I think I'll probably make a mesh one, too, since I like the swishy look.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Ah - gorgeous - I better not let Lucas see it! Just kidding, but I did think of you, KID, and Kitschy when I made his PJ top - it would look so sweet on a little girl!

Pickled Weasel said...

Hi - I don't know how to contact you as I can't find an email address on your profile, but just to say I hope you're ok after the terrible events in Tuscon x x x